Barnwell County was called Winton County in 1785. The County was
then named for John Barnwell, a Revolutionary War figure in 1800,
the same year Barnwell died.
Barnwell County grew with the introduction of the SC railroad. The
railroad linked Charleston with the old town of Hamburg on the Savannah
River. Because of the railroad, the Barnwell County towns of Williston
and Blackville grew up alongside the railroad tracks in the mid-1800’s.
Although trains no longer run through these towns, the history of
the railroad is still apparent.
Barnwell County was home to several influential state politicians,
namely Senator Edgar A Brown (1888-1975), state Speaker of the House
Solomon Blatt (1895-1986) and former governor Joseph E. Harley (1880-1942).
Collectively they were known as the “Barnwell Ring.”
Barnwell County is comprised of 548 square miles of land with an
approximate population of 23,404 according to a 2004 US Census estimate.
The City of Barnwell was known as “Red Hill” or the “Village” in
its earlier days.
People began to settle in Barnwell by 1800, but it was not incorporated
as a town until 1829. At that time, Barnwell’s city limits
encompassed a three-quarter mile radius around the county courthouse.
The Circle, in front of the courthouse, is still the downtown heart
of the city.
Barnwell has a population of 5,035. Barnwell is now the County seat
of Barnwell County.
The town of Williston started before the railroad. Descendents of
Robert Willis, an earlier settler, gave the settlement his name.
However, Williston didn’t really grow until 1833, with the
coming of the railroad. By, then a 136-mile stretch of railroad had
been lain to connect Charleston and the former town of Hamburg, near
present –day Augusta. In 1833, this was the longest single
stretch of railroad in the world.
During the Civil War, detachments of Union soldiers and cavalry
defeated Confederate forced near Williston in February of 1865. The
Union forces then tore up railroad tracks and burned many of Williston’s
homes. The historic Ashley-Willis house was spared because the Union
soldiers slept there.
The population of Williston of about 895 in 1950 expanded to several
thousand along with the growth of SRS. As SRS reduced its operations
over the years, the population dropped. The population of Williston
now is around 3,000 people.
Before Blackville was settled as a town, people, both Native Americans,
and settlers, passed through here as the Cherokee Trail and the Edisto
River cut through the area.
Also the Native Americans, and later colonists, visited Healing
Springs, the site of a natural spring. Boasting of the water’s
curative powers, Native Americans brought wounded Revolutionary War
soldiers to Healing Springs as well.
In 1944, L.P. Boylston made a legal footnote in history when he
deeded the one acre of land the spring is located on to “God.”
Like other towns in Barnwell County, Blackville grew up around the
railroad. The Blackville public library, is stationed in the town’s
old train depot on Solomon Blatt Avenue.
For a time in the 1870s, Blackville was the county
seat of Barnwell County. Blackville has a population of around 2,973